Subject: [Leica] Northern Lights Trip
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 09:42:10 -0500

G'day and I hope the snow where you live is more manageable than in Atlanta,
Warmth, don't bring jeans, bring several pairs of the new technical pants
rated for the temperatures that you expect with the accompanying under
layers.  Do the same for your three or more upper layers including a hat
that covers your ears and a scarf or balaclava that covers your face.  The
newer versions of the above will pack flatter than down and dry much
quicker.  You could do worse than buy some outfits from military surplus
for cold to extreme cold weather but the goods available at REI etc will be
properly rated for where you are going.  If you are toasty warm then you
will take your eye out of the viewfinder and just enjoy the show instead of
rushing back to shelter.

The suggestion for wide angle lenses is appropriate as the sky is a big
place, plus with a wide angle you get a longer exposure time before the
background stars start to blur; with a 21 I believe you get in the
neighborhood of 15 seconds.  I also think that if you don't already have an
area-swiss mounting system on your tripod solution you should look into
one.  With the appropriate mount on your camera you can quickly and with
little hand on metal time securely mount your camera to the tripod head
when your are cold and possibly more concerned with not sticking to your
gear than securing in tightly.  Don't ask please.

Fast lenses will be very helpful, remember everything is at infinity and a
fast lens lets you use a lower ISO giving you much cleaner images.  I ran
into some issues with my A7R as my top ISO for clean images was 1250-1600
and I didn't want star trails for some images: the northern lights will
pose similar problems as you want a long enough exposure to show the
beautiful forms but not so long as to show star trails for some of your
images.

Also, take a look at some of the articles written about shooting the stars
over the Grand Canyon especially getting the milky way orientated how you
want it; you may be after the Northern Lights but if they aren't
cooperating then you can shoot the stars and the landscape around you while
you wait.

Last, battery life in the cold is very, very short.  If you can create a
warm pocket space then rotating the battery after every few shots will help
keep you shooting as a warm battery will take some more images before
succumbing to the cold.  Ten charged batteries would not be too few if you
intend to stay out for hours in the cold.

All the best and I will report the experiences of a friend of mine who is
in Iceland now sitting by a warm geyser watching the lights...