Subject: [Leica] Barcelona Demonstration for Freedom Political Prisoners
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 23:14:18 +0000

Thanks Lluis for your excellent photos which give a flavour of the
pro-Catalan independence fervour in Spain, and also for helping me to
learn a bit of Catalan - very much a mix of Spanish and French, so I can
almost understand it - probably a bit better than Mr. Rajoy and the EU
:-) I like the slogan "I am from a country where fear is called sanity"
and being Irish, we all love a good slogan.

Sadly, slogans are not very effective, but action is. The only trouble
with action is it can lead to trouble and lost lives, and those lost
lives can be young people we care for deeply who get caught up in
actions led by power seeking uncaring hotheads who make a shield for
their own balls from easily manipulated youth.

A war-less, border-less Europe living through seventy years of peace
probably doesn't need problems in Spain. In fact, they certainly don't.
Sure, haven't we enough problems with delusional Britannia trying to
waive the rules, living on fading memories, and trying restart the
British Empire? It's bad timing and poor politicking by both the Catalan
and Spanish to pick a time to split and to muscularly respond, and it
seems almost disregarded by its politicians the obvious fact that if
Catalunya leaves Spain, it leaves the EU. It seems to be poor judgement
by Puigdemont. If you're going to start a fight, always make sure you've
got the higher ground.

Anyway, Lluis, keep sending the pictures.

Douglas