Subject: [Leica] Music and paintings, a double pleasure
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 02:29:05 -0700

After wandering among Native America ruins near Los Alamos, I visited
the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum in Santa Fe.? It just so happened that
cellist Matt Haimovitz, who likes to perform in non-traditional venues,
was giving a recital there. He played the Bach Cello Suite No. 5 in C
minor.? I spent some time just listening, and some time looking at
paintings that provided counterpoint to the music i was hearing.? I took
a few pictures, too.

Here is Mr. Haimovitz playing.? He is using an iPad as a music stand.
He's playing off a facsimile of the oldest surviving manuscript of the
Suite, copied by Bach's wife, Anna Magdelena Bach.? I spoke to him
afterwards, and he told me he found that it helped him tune into the
composer's intentions. (Click on photo to enlarge).
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/37337644522/in/dateposted-public/>

I liked the composition of his empty cello case sitting in a nook in the
gallery.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/36658743644/in/dateposted-public/>

And I liked the subtle differences of color in the skylights in an
adjacent gallery:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/37337644342/in/dateposted-public/>

After the concert, Mr. Haimovitz talks to a friend before his next gig.?
He played at a local brewery later that evening. More power to him!
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/37367555351/in/dateposted-public/>

In addition to Georgia O'Keeffe's paintings, the museum displayed
numerous photographs of Ms. O'Keeffe by various photographers, most
notably black and whites by her husband, Alfred Stieglitz.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] [OM] Music and paintings, a double pleasure)