Subject: [Leica] Be enlightened: Work for free!
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 13:00:29 -0800

LUG:  I just received the following "flickrmail" request to publish one
of my photographs in a calendar.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at N04/5265537626/
For free, of course.  Here's the note I received"

    "We have seen your touching photograph shown in the link below, and
    would love to include it in our Prayer & Meditation Calendar 2018,
    which can be seen here: PrayerMeditationCalendar.org. Due to budget
    constraints, our nonprofit universal spiritual organization
    publishes this calendar each year largely through the kindness of
    photographers who donate their images. All of us serve as unpaid
    volunteers to further the cause of love and unity among all beings.

    "We offer to send a calendar to the photographers and provide the
    credit lines they prefer. Would an arrangement like this be
    agreeable to you? If so we will need the image highest res & 300 ppi
    on the shortest side, your preferred credit line and your mailing
    address."

The signer has a one year-old flickr account with no photographs. This
is the organization involved:
http://truthconsciousness.org/about/truth-consciousness-organization/
And I found this:
http://www.westword.com/news/hide-the-swami-5055176

Anyway, it made me feel pretty low.  If my work is only of value to scam
artists and bottom-feeders, and only if I give it away, why bother?

--Peter

Replies: Reply from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford) ([Leica] Be enlightened: Work for free!)
Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Be enlightened: Work for free!)
Reply from george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Be enlightened: Work for free!)