Subject: [Leica] IMG: Macro Lens with Extension
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 19:45:22 -0400

These very short working distances area always knee jerk written off to be
unworkable with a standard macro and they try to tell you you must always
use a short telephoto macro to make macro shooting tenable. Don?t even buy
one.
Its baloney of courses and that?s proved in these shots. Even in the
ultra-close realm shorter macros are very workable.
No the bee didn?t sting or fly away.
Nor are we seeing a shadow of the lens and photographer being cast upon the
bee in question. Nor little white bug on leaf.

I think a 50, or 60mm or 55mm macro is quite a flexible and basic tool
everyone should have and use every day. I sure do. All three!
It?s a Nikon thing first to use one as your all around normal standard lens
and others followed.
Standard focal length macros.
It?s great to be able to get in there whenever the occasion arises and get
the little stuff.
It?s great  to be freed from close focusing limitations and just go out and
shoot anything!

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

On 9/22/17, 2:24 PM, "LUG on behalf of Jim Nichols"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of jhnichols
at lighttube.net> wrote:

    The Leica Elmarit-R 60 Macro lens comes with an add-on rear extension
    for ultra-closeup work.  This is difficult to handle hand-held, but I
    tried it, none-the-less.  This requires placing the lens just a few
    inches from the subject and moving slightly to achieve focus.  This
    first image of a bee is the full image vertically, with only the ends
    cropped to remove extraneous plant matter.

    http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170922-DSCF5375-1.jpg.html

    The second image is cropped further, but gave me the best detail I have
    been able to obtain of the Woolly Aphid, whose length is only about 2mm.

    http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170922-DSCF5292.JPG.html

    Better images would be achievable with the use of a tripod, but that is
    not possible with these small visitors to the Buddleia bush.

    --
    Jim Nichols
    Tullahoma, TN USA