Subject: [Leica] IMG: Ted's Lens
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 16:19:16 -0700

Hi Tina,
Thankyou for the opportunity to see one of my all time most favourite Leica
lenses and that you make it the beauty it is and was for me. Certainly along
with it's 1.4X and 2X extenders. WOW!!!!!!!
And when one used both extenders mounted at the same time??????? WOW!! :-)
This was a case of me wondering one day? "I wonder what a photo would look
like with both extenders on at the same time?
So I mounted them very carefully one behind the other and tripped out the
door, with a tripod and monopod. This was in a film R8. RESULTS?
FANTASTIC ON KODACHROME asa 64!
So doing what I usually did when fiddling about testing any gear? I just put
it all together and blew away several rolls! Waited to see the results good,
bad or ugly. Somehow all my near 60 years using Leica gear I never screwed
any gear up!
READY? I phoned the Leica head techie guy in Toronto and asked?
Now the fun begins as I'm not a techie type and never have been, so I do my
own stuff? Then contact LEICA techie people if it might cause some damage?
So what I asked would be it good? Bad? Or Ugly to do what I just explained &
blew away a couple rolls of Kodachrome! I said nothing about having actually
completed the action of shooting and it was souped!?
"I put the 2 extenders 1.4 and 2 times on my 280 f2.8 and was that a bad
thing to do and or would it cause any damage if I did??????
A very quick response was?" Dumbkoff! Nine nine and a few other words in
German! and a quick return to English. "Ted, we do not recommend doing that
as the image quality will "probably be a disaster and some lens damage!!!!"
Then I asked? "Have you ever done it and seen the results?" Now granted the
guys in the Toronto Leica office knew me as a friend as I would drop in and
visit when in Toronto on assignment. Or picking up a new lens or whatever?
So I said: "Gee you should try it someday as the results are completely mind
blowing!" He hung-up! No sense of humour! :-) And I used it rigged like that
for several years and always had successful and beautiful images.
So Tina someday when you have nothing to do??????????  :-) Do it gently, 2X
extender on first followed by the 1.4X
Cheers,
ted.
PS: Your photo shown here? Fabulous! Thank you.