Subject: [Leica] IMG: Pho
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 15:16:36 -0700

Hi Tina,
As you and some of the crew are aware I started out as a young lad with my
right eye the "weak eye" and it has never had anything done to it
"operationally" just glasses for both eyes. The right eye in reality most of
my life has some bit of vision, but really useless. Therefore my photo
career has always been using the left eye with all kinds of cameras. 98% of
my life LEICA'S" of all kinds.
However what nobody picked-up, even all the eye doctors, until a couple of
years ago and surprise, surprise? I've never had true 3 demential sight! :-)
In other words "no depth perception" and everything through my perfect left
eye I have pretty well always seen my photography images, whether looking
through a view finder or not? I was seeing a "flat photo image!" Yep just
like looking at a photograph!
That lead to many compositions that occurred only because one eye was
recording the image to the brain and triggered through the twitch ny times
over my 65 year career about the world! "The Great Spirit" has been riding
on my shoulder allowing me to see in a fashion others may not in the
composition of subject matter?
Once I learned of this I realized why when driving stock and sprint cars I
would "Bumper bump" :-) the car in front of me because there was absolutely
no true depth in my vision. When a situation of this nature occurred usually
on a corner! And a wee bit of heavy duty discussion later? ;-) Occurred in
"the Pit Area!"
I always blamed the driver in front of me of "backing off going into the
corner because he was a "chicken driver" and couldn't really rip through the
corner and was backing off too quickly! :-)
In reality it was me with no two perfect eyes creating the depth. I couldn't
tell if he were 6 inches or 2 feet!
In car racing? Yeah it was the pits?  But then I always got away with
blaming the driver in front.
TODAY? I don't worry, nor think about any of this as I don't drive anymore.
And unfortunately I shoot extremely few "happy Snaps" here in the elders
retirement home I now live in. But now I carry a LEICA M8 around for "happy
Snaps" of others living here in the "PALACE!" :-)
So there you go crew something a little different in the great world of
photojournalism photography!
CHEERS.
Dr. Ted Grant O.C.