Subject: [Leica] IMG: Saturday Signs from Salzburg
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 08:44:58 +0200

Regarding the Austrian tendency to portray themselves as co-victims of WWII
rather than enthusiastic applauders, this is precisely the reason why I
avoided visiting that country for many years. This is in contrast to Germany
which has and continues to own up to the terrible legacy, and is a country
that I always enjoy visiting (I am flying to Munich tomorrow morning, in
fact). Despite living for 3 years in next door Switzerland, I only set foot
in Austria when I had to for business reasons?we had an annual company event
in Schruns, a ski resort in Austria, which I was forced to attend. But I
never went to Vienna or Salzburg or any of the other cities.

That is, until I visited Vienna in November 2015 in connection with a
conference and fell in love with that city. My one-sentence version of my
impression is: ?as beautiful as Rome but clean and with public transport
that works.?

I found the Herzl plaque particularly interesting, BTW, perhaps because it
is a memorial to the general anti-Semitism that prevailed in the 19th
century, on both sides of the Atlantic.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman