Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Simply… strange…
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2017 20:43:02 +0530

The current crop of computer games (NOT arcade games, mind you) are eons
better than Solitaire or Flight Simulators. They are totally immersive,
with great narrative stories, voice overs by top level movie stars,
excellent soundtracks,  and all of you should really try one some time. It
makes a nice diversion from Photoshop.....:-)

What about the new crop of board games? Like this one, for example:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/120677/terra-mystica

There is no dice rolls in these games, so no element of luck, and it is
purely strategy that gets you through, and I personally think that young
adults can learn a lot by playing. They are deep and require you to play
multiple times, and more importantly, to think obliquely, to learn the
strategy. You have games that finish in half an hour to some that take 3-4
hours to complete. Most of the really interesting ones are designed in
Mainland Europe....

There is no better way than this for family bonding across generations. My
sons (38 yo and 35 yo) own about 45 board games, and we make it a point to
play at least once a week on Sundays whenever possible, with my wife and/or
daughter in law as well.

Those interested could do much worse than starting with the classic "Brass"
(now "Brass - Lancashire", another extension of which "Brass-Birmingham"
can be pre ordered from Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/brass-an-industrial-revolution

Cheers
Jayanand