Subject: [Leica] Biking for wimps
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 01:24:48 +0100

On 12/06/2017 22:01, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:
> Eighty five kilometers is a distance for wimps. I regularly biked far more
> than that. See these  images in the LUG Gallery.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/National+Century+1990.JPG.html
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Biking+at+Perkins+Peak.jpg.html
>   (this was my biking companion - not me)
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Larry+biking+at+Croton+Dam.jpg.html
>
> Incidentally 100 miles is about 161 km.
>
> Disclaimer: Of course I don't do those distances now. I promised my wife I
> would stop biking long trips when I hit 80.
> As a result I have six bicycles in my garage rusting away. My only
> grandson still uses training wheels.
>
> Larry Z

Are you sure you didn't just take that bike out of the boot (trunk) of
your car for a staged photo, Larry :-)

Well, I did get in a small cycle to celebrate the 200th anniversary of
the bicycle today, but my max distance on a training run when I was
doing triathlons was 150 miles or 241k. However, I only did that
distance twice. Most of the time they were hilly 60 mile cycles. I must
retrace some of my old routes to see what the total climbs were, so I
should get one of those Garmins.

I too have a load of bikes - eight in all, but three of those are used
by my sons, even though one of those has two bikes of his own. I still
have my Mercian Superlight racer which I'm going to hang onto as it's a
gorgeous piece of kit. I'm going to sell three of the others over the
next couple of months including a heavy folder which weighs as much as a
garden gate. I'm going to buy a Brompton folder instead, as it's much
lighter.

Douglas

Replies: Reply from dankhong at gmail.com (D Khong) ([Leica] Biking for wimps)