Subject: [Leica] Hasselblad X1d, Leica SL, Hasselblad H4D/50MP, and not the Fuji GFX 50S
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 19:24:54 -0800

I had a chance to handle the cameras at Samys Camera in Costa Mesa
yesterday.... I took no pictures ( dead batteries!!!  Who can sell a camera
with a dead battery in the demo???   3 Demos, all dead !!!!) and can not
comment on image quality nor eye level viewing.  However, I can comment on
overall feel and balance.....

First the Hasselblad H4D.... a BEAST!  Heavy, awkward to hold freehand, and
back heavy.  If you are insistent on using a mirror box MF digital camera,
and want that 35mm overall position of the body relative to your eye, I
guess it fits the bill.  Overall, a zero on the ergonomic scale.  In truth,
you would be as well off and still have some green in your wallet if you
bought an older V series camera, a few lenses, and a CFV39 or 50 with a 45
or 90 prism finder.  I would bet on the same weight, same ergonomics, much
cheaper.  If it were mounted in a tripod, I guess it would be better, but
then you would have to deal with the issue of eye placement....   The V
series would still be better....   It does have AF, if you must have it.

Leica SL... I had not handled one before.  If had the 28-90 on it.  God
bless Tina,  She must have arms like a sailor.  The thing is heavy, front
weighted, and awkward.   Not for me at all.  Bigger than the X1d but smaller
than the H4d.  I like the firmness of the camera, it felt like a solid tank.
 Really nice.  But the (lens) weight and balance is all off.  Would love to
have seen through the EVF, but alas, dead battery killed that idea.  ( I
just thought about Tina.. maybe Tom carries it between exposures?)

Hasselblad X1d... the best of the 3, IMO.  It had the normal lens on it.  (
??? MM )  It felt solid, light, well balanced.  Not big and bulky.  By far,
the slimmest and smallest.  Easy to shoot off hand.

They did not have a Fuji to examine.

Basically, I much preferred the X1d. It is small, light ( comparative
comment), has leaf shutters in the lens ( no slap), and overall the fit and
finish were great.  It does fine in the hand, and on a tripod it would be
quite at home.

BTW, the X1d says on top... made in Sweden, and on the bottom, made in Japan
( China?  I forget)..... I guess they could not figure out which would be
better hype......

No, I did not buy anything.  My 500C/M with a 45 prism, and Leaf Aptus 65
Back is doing fine.....  ( aside from a dead clock battery).. But I did have
fun.

Age and strength may have a lot to do with my reactions...   YMMV

Frank Filippone

Red735i at verizon.net

Replies: Reply from john at mcmaster.fr (John McMaster) ([Leica] Hasselblad X1d, Leica SL, Hasselblad H4D/50MP, and not the Fuji GFX 50S)
Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Hasselblad X1d, Leica SL, Hasselblad H4D/50MP, and not the Fuji GFX 50S)