Subject: [Leica] Leica lenses on Fuji X Pro 1 Vs Sony A7
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 22:33:32 -0800

Same advice for the Fuji X Pro 1 or the Sony A7

Turn OFF the focus peaking.  You will need to hit the magnified image button
a few times to get the x10 enlarged image.  Focus WITHOUT touching the
shutter button ( which, when touched, shuts OFF the enlarged image).
Focus like you were using a ground glass.... and WIDE OPEN>>>>>  If you try
to focus with the lens set for F32 you will have difficulty because there is
so much DOF. ( If you have a Noctilux, try that lens first.....it will give
you confidence....)

Methodology.....
Open lens to Max Aperture ( F1.0, for instance)  ( Do NOT cheat on this
step....!)
Start focus regimen... enlarge the VF image by pressing appropriate
button..... look in EVF and focus as if it were a ground glass... when it is
sharp it is in focus....
Set Lens aperture to the value you want... say, F11  ( you will need to move
camera away from your face to perform this action....)
Re establish composition
Push shutter button....
Done.

Sounds long and involved, but it works.... and your focusing accuracy will
be incredible...  Did this in Canada with great results.... ( When my M9
died, suddenly... and the Fuji XE-1 was my backup camera)

It is not for action pictures,,, the procedure is long, requires a lot of
moving the camera away from your face, and is otherwise sub-optimal.... But
it works brilliantly for fixed subjects,,,,)

Use your Native lenses when you do not want the ultimate in resolution.....
or want/need AF/fast working....

Trying to focus at F32 and with focus peaking is, for me, a terrible
solution.....

YMMV

Frank Filippone

Red735i at verizon.net