Subject: [Leica] PESO: Pano of Biarritz in winter
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 23:00:12 -0000

Didn't see this as I've been a bit tied up, John.

It's a good pano of a very dangerous place. A good friend of mine lost his
young daughter there - I knew her well - when she was on a student surfing
trip just over a decade ago. The rip tides are horrendous, and much more
difficult than everybody expects. She was a very experienced surfer, strong
swimmer, and was extremely fit. Her funeral was a terrible ordeal for
everybody as she was a wonderful, and very beautiful girl, and had always
seemed so full of life.

For those of you who don't swim, a rip tide is a frightening experience. I
was caught in one some years ago in Bray - a place I thought I knew like the
back of my hand. However, coastal works had changed the bathyscape, and a
very unusual - for us - north east wind gave me an unexpected rip tide when
I went for my morning swim. I suddenly found myself out much further from
the beach than expected, and, while at the time I was a fairly strong
swimmer as I used to do triathlons, I found myself unable to make much
progress back. Having swum there for years, the change just didn't compute,
and I ignored the First Riule of Holes and kept digging. I was lucky to
extricate myself almost completely exhausted.

Douglas