Subject: [Leica] The "problem" with the M9
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2017 23:47:15 -0500

You get to know they image you clicked on in the field way better in the
darkroom as you're working with it. And working with the image going through
several sheets of paper and spending and hour is often going to take you in
an unexpected direction. Which you expect is going to happen.
And again years later when you "perform" that negative or capture again you
can change your mind on it.
Some people for some reason wish that is not the case. You wonder if they'd
ever printed in a darkroom.

On 1/2/17 11:41 PM, "Mark Rabiner" <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:

> There's always what you think you're going to do when you take the shot but
> you know when you're in the darkroom you might start going in a different
> direction. This is not my peculiar workflo but every  photographer who ever
> lived.
>

> On 1/2/17 11:51 AM, "Gerry Walden" <gerry.walden at icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> I am sorry to come back on this, but I believe that the photographer
>> should
>> make a decision by pre-visualisation of how the final image should look.
>> Although this may may be a split-second decision based on intuition and
>> experience that decision is important. If you shoot in b&w you shoot for
>> the
>> composition of light and dark, highlights and shadows whereas if you
>> shoot in
>> colour you shoot for the interplay of the colours of the image and the way
>> the
>> balance together. This is a decision that cannot be realistically made
>> afterwards as the two images/decisions are different. If you make the
>> dcision
>> afterwards it will never be as good as the pre-visualisation that should
>> have
>> been done before.

Gerry

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/luisrq/La+Rambla/20161221_L1013236+1.jpg.ht>>