Subject: [Leica] Drive question.
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 04:53:33 -0500

It?s risky to rely on RAID-5 for HDDs over 1TB or so. The probability of a
soft error during RAID-5 rebuild (which takes a long time for large HDDs)
after a disk failure is statically significant for larger HDDs. Most RAID
system will abort the RAID rebuild if an (soft) error occur (and then you
have to recover from your backups ? you do have backups, right? :)

I?ve gone to RAID-1 for my own personal NAS at home (and I use ZFS to ensure
data integrity for you geeks). I only get 50% utilization but at least I can
be sure that at least one copy will be usable after an HDD failure. I?ve had
at least 1 HDD fail and 2 HDD go flakey on me over the last year or 2.
Always just past the end of the warranty period.

My back up media is a single external HDD that is big enough to hold a copy
of everything on my NAS. It?s a bit cumbersome but I don?t have the budget
for a robotic tape library. :-(

Regards,
Spencer