Subject: [Leica] Documentary Photography
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 17:15:51 -0600

> On Nov 10, 2016, at 12:46 PM, Christopher Crawford <chris at
> chriscrawfordphoto.com> wrote:
>
> I photographed political signs and protests in Indiana because they are a
> part the culture of the people here. I showed an overwhelming number of
> pro-trump and anti-clinton signs; not because I supported Trump, but
> because that was the reality here. In the city of 260,000 people I live
> in, I saw a total of just FOUR pro-Clinton signs. Not only were there
> hundreds more Trump signs, but many were handmade, indicating a much
> greater personal dedication to Trump than would be the case with people
> displaying the signs given out by the candidates and parties.
>
> Like it or not, Indiana was solid Trump country. He won here in a
> landslide. I believe he got 65% of the vote, Hillary got about 30%, and
> Gary Johnson got about 5%. The results in Indiana did not surprise me. I
> have lived here most of my life and I understand the political views of
> the people here. I expected Trump to win Indiana, but I am surprised that
> he won the overall election, given the extreme fear and hate that he
> triggered in so many Americans (and for good reason!).
>
> Like it or not, Trump is going to be our next president. The next four
> years will be a very interesting time to be out there documenting our
> country with a camera, and I will be out there every day doing so, as I
> have been doing for the last 25 years. I will do so in the same
> straightforward and honest manner in which I have always worked. That
> means I will sometimes show things that some find offensive, scary, or
> sad. I don?t care what anyone else thinks of that. You all have cameras;
> go out and use them to make your own document of our world if you don?t
> like my work.

As I?ve said on more than one occasion - I, for one, admire your dedication
to the craft and art
of ?concerned, documentary photography?

You have and continue to create a powerful body of work
and a unique, visual study of the great state of Indiana;
as well as other themes.

My hat?s off to you.

Regards,
George Lottermoser