Subject: [Leica] Windows 10 Annoyance
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 14:27:54 -0500
References: <CA+yJO1DKFbeCJt4dvUgHgSJ_M0T29qPZQ079OcrbruuVUHfW1Q@mail.gmail.com> <3233c86d874f4018ab33275d47f07d55@WhizzEXM01.whizz.org> <CA+yJO1DsatoP5ap6L4p31mMP3N4vpe7z3rY4mJ6AZd6yDCj0dQ@mail.gmail.com> <038759f3d94546e7a5f95556f56054d4@WhizzEXM01.whizz.org> <CA+yJO1CWXoxyde7sXdPYMrvgztDAu-BOgaRduQmzWAvHZjmEiw@mail.gmail.com> <CY1PR1001MB1097B32AF04F08657F1D64DCB8CF0@CY1PR1001MB1097.namprd10.prod.outlook.com> <CA+yJO1Awq9vB69KPtg6rSyF-v2T6fwpciUJYMoVG0nU3Jx-20g@mail.gmail.com> <703aaef4-99c0-18ae-f2bd-0b55158b4b43@lighttube.net> <CA+yJO1B4Q8=8+7t3QTQcGevJyobdN2HAk=VZTsGV2-aMvQwM8w@mail.gmail.com>

How long does it take for the drive to spin back up after it is queried?

I have a USB drive on my Win 10 computer, and I just tried it, and it was
less than 10 seconds for it to access.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Tina Manley <tmanley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Jim. I did do that as suggested on the Windows forum but it didn't
> help. Evidently, they changed something in Windows 10.  A lot of people are
> having the same problem and are switching back to 7 because of it.  I keep
> hoping they will come up with a fix if enough people complain and I have
> complained everywhere I can find to complain!!
>
> Tina
>
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Jim Nichols <jhnichols at lighttube.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Tina, I'm still running Win7, and I know there are differences, but I
> > decided to try something to see if I could change the power management
> > outcome.  I have an external USB 3 WD MyBook that holds all of my photo
> > files, and it has been going to sleep after some period of idleness.  It
> > now appears to be staying up and ready.
> >
> > Here is what I did:
> >
> > Open the Control Panel
> >
> > Click on Power Options
> >
> > If Power Options is set to "Balanced", change to "High Performance"
> >
> > Under High Performance, change "Put computer to sleep" to "Never"
> >
> > Under USB settings, turn off "Selective Suspend Setting"
> >
> >             This setting now shows "Disabled"
> >
> > Save Changes
> >
> > Restart Computer
> >
> > I am going to monitor this for a while to see if I see any side effects,
> > but, so far, it looks good.  As I said earlier, it may not work with
> Win10.
> >
> > Jim Nichols
> > Tullahoma, TN USA
> >

> > On 9/28/2016 12:07 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> >
> >> I downloaded that a few weeks ago but it doesn't work either :-(
> >>
> >> It's supposed to keep nudging the hard drive to keep it awake, but mine
> go
> >> to sleep anyway!
> >>
> >> The built-in drives are fine and three external hard drives and my Jobo
> >> stay on all the time.  The 12 drives that I have in 3 ProBox external
> >> cases
> >> are the ones that go to sleep. I've tried changing the USB ports and
> >> moving
> >> them around but nothing works.  If I'm working with one particular
> drive,
> >> all of the ones connected in the same box with it stay awake until I
> quit
> >> working on it for two minutes.  Then they all go to sleep.  I have to
> keep
> >> jumping up and turning them back on.  Whatever program I'm working on
> >> can't
> >> find the files and it screws everything up.
> >>
> >> Tina
> >>
> >> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 1:01 PM, Aram <leica_r8 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hmm.  Thought that would work, but maybe that only works for built in

> settings,

Regards,

Sonny
http://sonc.com/look/