Subject: [Leica] Experimenting with the iPhone
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 14:19:04 -0400

We think there was a gradual progression to smaller and smaller films sizes
as the technology got better but the  first 35mm Leica same out just a few
years away from the first medium format Rolleiflex which came out AFTER.
And the Speed Graphic came out way later. (had held 4x5" sheet film)
I think the lowest common denominator which brought it all down to the same
level was the 80 dot screen on newsprint. Became what that does to an image
you don't even want to know.  Turns it into mush. We got used to mush every
morning with our coffee.
And I think for much of what we'd see which was photojournalism on newsprint
the deciding factor was how many shots were on the roll? 36? 12? 1?  People
just wanted more shots on the roll. Till they had 72 then they decided they
didn't need that many.