Subject: [Leica] [IMG] PESO - Market flowers -Ted, Jim, Douglas, Lluis
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 14:05:47 -0700

>>>Ted: - perhaps this explains a bit more of what was going through my
head.<<<<
Hi Peter,
I suppose I'm influenced in shooting B&W as a first choice, partly because
of the hundreds of thousands of B&W images I exposed during the many years
of shooting documentaries for the National Film Board of Canada when B&W was
the way photographing life across Canada and on overseas assignments were in
vogue.
With much of LIFE, LOOK, PARIS MATCH publications and many other magazines
of the day it was B&W.
Today, colour is generally of a "real life" recognition and the influence
since colour TV!
Or a client wanted me to shoot only in colour.
These kind of assignments became regular. Some lasting a month or  more and
it was 100% colour. The complete reversal of the hundreds of B&W assignments
during the previous years.
Eventually you "shoot due to visual motivation!"
A kind of "gut feel good kind of motivation."
Now I shoot what makes me feel good in my gut! :-) And or a client request.
Obviously, even after all my years. My gut can be wrong! So I screw-up, but
they're usually personal happy snap days. :-)
I still think seeing your scene with the flowers and they were of a large
enough eye catching colour area? I'd still shot colour. But a decision can
be "how one's gut is feeling the scene on any given day?"
cheers,
ted

Douglas: -  surely flowers do have souls ;-) even when they have been dyed
livid
red or yellow!

Jim - I see what you are trying to get at, but for me it doesn't quite
work...the church really isn't that colour but I do prefer the more muted
tones.
I used ColourEfex for the B&W conversion and PSE 12 for most of the rest of
the
work.

Lluis - many thanks, but I really do prefer the B&W. What do you mean by
"usual"? The more obvious way to shoot it?

All: - as an after thought I did wonder at the time what the LUG would think
and
who would shoot it which way :-) :-)

Regards,

Peter

On 09/08/2016 00:19, Ted Grant wrote:
> Hi Peter,
> You know my quote about B&W, colour and peoples clothes? :-)
> Every once in awhile on the LUG I see a shot the complete opposite of the
> quotation.
> In your photo here I'd have shot that in colour as the subject appeared to
> pertain more to a "market flower situation???" rather than people &
clothes?
> By the same token we shoot our photos on the bases of "Too each his own
> feelings." But I was just curious?
>
> cheers,
> ted Grant

Of