Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Friday: frogs, flowers, bread baking and bike riding
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 17:01:01 -0500

> On Jul 15, 2016, at 4:20 PM, Douglas Barry <imra at iol.ie> wrote:
>
> George, nice images, but, going on the message, you appear to be a
> Motobecane man from birth. The only Motobecane I used was one supplied by
> a sponsor when my then sylph-like self was doing a big charity triathlon
> way back in the early '80s. Compared to the Mercian Superlight I had just
> bought, it was like riding a garden gate. I wanted to use my own bike, but
> was told in no uncertain terms "Use the gate, or you get the gate!" so
> that's why I rode a Motobecane from Galway to Dublin and then ran the
> Dublin City Marathon with legs like jelly. In my opinion, that gate
> affected my gait?

Well. I fell into Motobecane because I was doing design work for both the
Milwaukee Classic Bicycle Race and some of the sponsors of the race; from 74
to I think 78. So both those early Motobecanes were traded for Graphic
Design work. The bikes represented the best Frank?s Cycle Shop had to offer
at the time.

This current Motobecane simply came up at the right time, in the correct
size, for the right price.
I was considering vintage bikes that are being sold, used, locally.
Though really wanted something more ?current."

> That said, I like the geometry (of your bike) on display here. It looks
> elegant and purposeful, and the rake of the forks looks good, lest plate
> tectonics moves a stray alp into Wisconsin, but the saddle looks plumper
> than a true peletoneur would desire.

I just put a gel cover over the very slender, unplump, Richey seat.
After riding a couple 14 and 16 mile excursions I found that by mile 9 or 10
I simply could no longer put any weight on the saddle.
Had to get some relief.

I definitely do not now, nor never have, qualified as a ?true peletoneur.?
During those years when I did the design work for the local, yet
international, races;
I and few friends spent a good deal of time pedaling together;
though quite casually;
and I enjoyed mostly riding alone;
for utilitarian transportation as much as any other reason.

Just returned from 8 mile round trip to get potatoes for tonight?s fish and
chips.

> Seriously, it's good to hear you're throwing your leg over in your
> maturity :-)

I agree and thank you.

> PS flowers are good too!

Regards,