Subject: [Leica] Stock Sales
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 10:17:12 +0530

It has nothing to do with Getty and Istock. It has everything to do with
markets changing - after all they have a business model that is successful,
so they must be doing something right. Either we change with the times, or
we are toast. Moaning about how the good old days were will not help,
either.

After all, in my stockbroking business, when we started in 1990, we used to
get commission of 1%-1.5% of the trade, on both legs of the trade, even for
day trading. By the time I sold the business in 2011, the maximum
commission we were getting was 0.15%, and could go as low as 0.07% for
bulk, institutional trades. Besides, for day traders, we could charge for
one end of the trade only, at 0.02-0.05%, depending on the traders credit.
These were dictated by marketplace and the competition inherent therein,
and not rules issued by some authority or the other.  A lot of traditional
brokers closed shop. Those of us who adapted and survived prospered. Don't
you think the customers benefited due to lower transaction costs?

It is the same story everywhere, in any business - more so nowadays, when
change can occur very swiftly - adaptability is the key to survival.

Cheers
Jayanand