Subject: [Leica] IMGS: My Father
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 13:38:27 +0100

They're excellent images, Tina. A brave man. A couple of questions that you
may or may not be able to help with, what was the plane he's in and what was
the camera used?

Douglas
whose uncle ran away from home in neutral Ireland to join the RAF at 16. He
was cycling towards the border with Northern Ireland and the recruitment
office in Belfast with a similarly inclined friend when he was stopped by
the Gardai (Irish police). His friend's brother who knew of the plans had
spilled the beans to his parents who immediately informed my grandfather. My
grandfather also happened to be Chief Superintendent of the Gardai and head
of the LSF during what we neutrals in Ireland euphemistically called "The
Emergency" (others may better remember it as World War 2). He got on the
phone and a couple of Gardai were detailed to wait unobtusively on the main
Dublin Belfast road a couple of miles before the border to halt their
gallop. He could have had them picked up earlier, but apparently wanted to
"give the young fellows a bit more exercise".

Sadly, a couple of years later, my uncle left school, joined the cadets in
the Air Corps (Irish Air Force) and was killed in an air crash soon after
going solo in a Miles Magister in 1944. It badly affected my grandfather who
forbade my mother from taking up a job as an airhostess with Aer Lingus.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=32912903&PIpi=14961843