Subject: [Leica] Me and my big mouth.... M9 failure
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Verizon 2 2016)
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 16:14:05 -0400

I bought my used M9 a few years ago through a contact from the LUG.
It has performed flawlessly. I brought it on our trip to Canada. We have
been here 8 days out of several weeks.

This morning, I heard something funny in the camera. A sound like ...tinkle
- tinkle. Removed lens, nothing wrong. Then decided to look at the sensor....
The glass cover plate has detached from the sensor... Intact but detached.
Loose.  Free as a bird. Tinkle -tinkle. The Camera is useless. Might as well
be a door stop.
Fortuitously, i have my Fuji XE-1 as my backup body.   I have driven my wife
nuts for almost 50 years by carrying a backup body I have NEVER used.

Looks like I did good in bringing it this year.

Luckily, one of the. LUGGERS had given me the name of a good Montreal camera
store, which I visited today. They confirmed my cover glass is loose (like
that took 1 second) and told me to send it to Leica NJ.  They offered to
send it in for me, but with crossing the border, then getting it back to
California after repair, i thought it best to hang onto it until we get home.

One of the guys in the store said he heard it was a problem he had heard
about.  I had not.

Message: always take a backup body.

Message to Nathan....  It is supposed to be a very rare problem, go ahead
and get that M9!

Frank Filippone, now shooting Leica glass on a Fuji XE-1 for the rest of the
trip.