Subject: [Leica] Printer problems
From: meino at innerside.demon.nl (Meino de Graaf)
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 16:07:24 +0200

Lluis

A question, do you leave the printer on a powered outlet, or do you
physically remove the power from the printer? I'm asking this because I
use the same printer and I need seldom to clean the heads, and even
after several weeks of not use (up to 11 weeks) the printer works fine.
But I always leave the printer in a powered socket. The reason behind
this is that the heads of epson printers have a special casket that
prevents the heads for drying in, but if the printer is not on a powered
socket, the printer won't keep that on the head, so the inks in the
heads start drying.

Further you mentioned third party inks and cartridges, I use inks and
refillable cartridges from www.farbenwerk.com. It is a small hassle, but
the saving in inks costs is enormous, however the algoritme used in the
chips of these refillable cartridges is less precise, so I have to
remember to refill them before they are empty according to the status
monitor.
One thing, you need to be able to create your own printer profiles with
FI a Spyder or a similar device. An other issue is that for black and
white printing these inks have more metamarisme then the original Epson
inks, which is caused by the Magenta ink. I use the Pigmera inks,
because I couldn't find any quality difference between these and the
Lyson inks. Farbenwerk has now also a number of inksets for pure black
and white printing which can be interesting.

About the black not working, I don't think that it is caused by the ink
supply unit, when that fails (I had that experience) it will spill drops
of inks during printing, causing massive streaks on the print. I have
the feeling that either the head is dried in or the cartridge was empty
and there are now air bubbles in the supply hose. If that is the case
4-5 head cleans are not enough. So you could start with a replacement of
the black cartridge. If the head has dried in you could try to get the
cleaning station saturated with windex and leave the heads overnight on
the cleaning station so the windex solution (or 50%/50% water/Isopropyl)
can try to solve the hardened ink.

regards
Meino de Graaf

regrads