Subject: [Leica] Leica batteries - Mark Rabiner
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 18:04:44 -0400

Thanks Gerry! AA's were much of the batteries I've used over the years and
for awhile I was trying to be smart and used rechargeable set ups so I
didn't have to spend money on batteries every time I did a shoot.  Well they
never worked right. The shots you got right before they'd suddenly give out
did not come out right. The TTL exposure interface would go out ahead of
time.
But that was very long ago and battery technology moves on.
They could be ok to use now I don't know.

I'm a big fan of big fact auxiliary battery packs you wear around your neck.
High voltage maybe. They have them for cameras as well as flashes. I'd use
for my Norman strobe I'd use for events but also before that my Vivitars.
They cost a lot more but did so much more.
You never had to worry about your battery giving out. I'd lay out some real
money for that! And recycle times are always tops. And they were
rechargeable
In the past decade or so the Quantum company has re invented that whole
area. You mount them on the bottom of the camera itself as an option.

I actually read a whole book on batteries but out by the Aaton company and
the guys name was Aaton who wrote the book. They are known for 16mm motion
picture cameras.  But as that was the late 80's or early 90's much of
whatever informat I absorbed is obsolete.
In the time I've been shooting digital mainly Nikons the batteries have re
invented themselves. I no longer need to bring a backup battery even when I'
making hundreds of captures a whole afternoon.
In the past I had to bring along a spare. And I could feel the weight in my
bag. But on the long run I found it a non issue.