Subject: [Leica] Peacocks and People
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 07:25:34 +0530

Douglas,
Thanks for looking.

I agree with your brother - peacocks, being large, heavy birds of the
forest, with limited flight capabilities, need and do have calls which are
extraordinary loud and very penetrating. Their alarm calls can be heard from
some distance away, though they are not very reliable.

The wrapped up look is due to two reasons - one being dust, as you surmised,
and the other more unsavory one is to prevent darkening of the skin -
Indians are quite racist when it comes to colour of ladies' skin, the fairer
the better. In fact the largest selling cosmetic product here, be it
Unilever, or P&G, or local makes is Skin Whitening Cream. The barrage of ads
for this product from all these manufacturers does little but perpetuate the
prejudice.
Cheers
Jayanand

Sent from my iPad