Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Exploring Urban Colour
From: gerry.walden at icloud.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Mon, 02 May 2016 22:14:02 +0100

Douglas

Thank you for liking one of the images. The brickwork is in fact the
approach road to a bridge which gradually rises up from the main street
level, and the barbers shop is in a kind of undercroft which would have been
one of the supporting arches of the bridge I guess. I must confess that I
had never noticed it before, so maybe it is new. There are a couple of other
businesses in the under the same bridge, but not of the type that would
generally attract the public. The whole area has been fairly recently
redeveloped and there is a lot of new student accommodation there so a
barbers shop does make sense.

Every new building going up, and any vacant office block, is being converted
into student accommodation now, with around one sixth  of the city
population being a student and the figure growing almost daily.

Gerry