Subject: [Leica] Process and scan to disc question
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 00:41:22 -0700

Gerry, there are two aspects of B&W scanning that you need to consider:

1) scan as negative or positive. Some people scan as "B&W neg" and some
people scan as "(RGB) positive" then invert in Photoshop or the like. Some
people claim that certain scanning software ALWAYS clip if you scan as B&W
neg (I believe NikonScan is one of them) so option 2) gives more fully
tonal result.

2) Save as Raw/DNG or TIFF/JPG. Note that TIFF is "full quality" where JPG
is compressed, but otherwise they are the same in this discussion.
Certainly, always save as TIFF rather than JPG as you want the highest
quality.

If you save as TIFF/JPG, then usually you have the scanner software
applying some tone curves and such, so that the image looks pretty good
already, then it's minor way in LR/PSD to get to the final image. In this
regard, it's rather like having a digital camera saving the images as JPG.

If you save as Raw/DNG, then the scanner software will try to maintain as
much information as possible, e.g. minimal tone curves and exposure
adjustments, so that it can be processed further post-scan. The downside is
that it takes a bit more work in LR/PSD to get to the final result. The
upside is that if you improve your LR/PSD skills or if better processing
software are to become available, then you can go back to the original
Raw/DNG file and redo it.

***
Personally, right now I scan as B&W neg or save in TIFF format. With medium
format /4x5 (I rarely shoot 35mm film any more), there is so much
information from those scans that I do not think it's worthwhile to use the
other options.

YMMV.