Subject: [Leica] travel luggage question
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 22:46:35 -0800

This is a few years ago, but may be helpful....
We were traveling Heathrow to Los Angeles on British Airways.  We had the
normal tourist stuff plus I was carrying my Hasselblad outfit as carry on in
a single bag.  The sign at check-in said... 15 pounds max on carry on
luggage.  ( Probably really said something like 7KG).  I remember thinking
that the camera alone, weighs almost that much.....
I was confronted at the counter by the agent... when I was told that I could
not carry on my camera bag because it was over 15 pounds.  They wanted me to
put the equipment in my checked luggage.  Fat chance....

I took out the required overweight camera and lens, and placed them in my
Wife's carry on.
Re-weighed the bag and made the  weight limit.  Went to the Gate, and put it
all back in my camera bag....

Yes., they do sometimes check, and no, they do not negotiate.

Follow Kyle's advice... take a Domke Vest and be prepared to fill the
pockets, as required and for as long as required.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

we will fly only across the Atlantic, via British Airways /going and
American/return  (NO in Europe flights) so two carry ons each, plus the
check in ?

Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] travel luggage question)
Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] travel luggage question)
Message from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] travel luggage question)