Subject: [Leica] ASA One Million+!
From: jmilton2 at maine.rr.com (Jack Milton)
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 10:07:13 -0500

 3 million ISO may not be really useful because of noise but what has
happened is the quality at ?lower? ISOs, like, 6400, or 12,800, get?s a
slight bump. When I was shooting film we jumped through darkroom hoops to
get ASA 1600 or 3200 from B&W and color neg film. Photojournalists now think
nothing of shooting at 3200, 6400, 8,000, or 12,800. In my estimation, on
say, a Nikon D4, ISO 6400 looks like ASA 400 color negative film. For
several years now these cameras can see in the dark and appear more
sensitive to light than the human eye. Not so long ago, sports photographers
had to light arenas with expensive, heavy strobes to shoot basketball or
hockey. Now we take high quality available light indoor or night sports
photos for granted.

 The other thing that?s happened is an f/2.8 lens is now considered to be
fast. F/2.8 telephotos and zooms are now normal lenses?double or quadruple
the ISO and f/2.8 does seem fast. A lot of younger photographers are
separating their work with truly fast lenses at f/1.4 or f/1.2 and shooting
wide open in all lighting.

Jack Milton