Subject: [Leica] Hitler Street
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 13:27:50 -0000

Interesting bit of persistance by the burghers of Kimmel. I would not like
to live on a Hitler St.

However, similiar stuff here in Ireland - my parents had their weekly
laundry collected, cleaned and delivered back by a man in a black uniform,
with a black military style peaked cap, driving a red van emblazoned with
the Swastika. The Swastika laundry in Dublin was founded back in 1912.
http://theinquisition.eu/wordpress/2011/culture/swastika-laundry/

Strangely enough, there is the "possibility" that those laundry vans
inspired Adolf Hitler to use the same colours. His brother Alois who had
worked in Dublin, had married an Irish woman Bridget Dowling and moved to
live in Liverpool. She subsequently claimed in her book that Hitler had
visited her there, and also visited her family home in Dublin c1912-1913
when dodging conscription. One can only speculate that the more or less
brand new laundry vans whizzing around in their bright colours close to the
Dowling family home - only a kilometre away from the laundry - influenced
the failed Austrian artist and future mass murderer....

Douglas