Subject: [Leica] IR sharpness issues
From: hjwulff at gmail.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 23:17:40 -0800

As Nathan said, IR is more about the different tonality.

But.

I still do the focus compensation, which is, like I noted before, different
for each lens, so you have to do tests before you can be comfortable with
your procedure.

A lens that is excellent in the 'normal' 400-700nm region is not necessarily
good in the 700+ region, and vice versa. Ya gotta test! Also some lenses
'hotspot', in that internal reflections in the lens and reflections off the
sensor create central 'hotspot's that are intrinsic to a lens in a certain
IR wavelength range. Coatings are wavelength specific, and most lenses
respond as 'uncoated' in most, if not all IR ranges.

All has to be tested. As I mentioned, my favourite IR lens is the Tri-Elmar,
and the fact that it is sort of like a 35-50-70 lens on the M8 just makes it
all the more useful. The 21 Elmarit ASPH is useable, but not great while the
WATE is better but more problematic because it takes 67mm filter with the
adapter. I have a gel holder and some Kodak gels that I use on it. I'd
better not damage them as they are becoming hard to replace. The 90 macro
Elmar is a good longer lens, although I don't tend to use long focal lengths
that much in IR.

Henning Wulff
hjwulff at gmail.com