Subject: [Leica] Reid Review of Leica SL
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 02:18:30 -0400

I was checking Reid out because if I'm going to spend money on something I
like to have a clue what it is ahead of time not after I spent the money.
And he's still writing for Luminous Landscape and here's a thing on the LS
and a greet shot of the camera with a lens full on. And back.

>https://luminous-landscape.com/some-thoughts-on-the-leica-sl/<

I'd also like to write right now that its in the archives somewhere  (hold
the anchovies) that I've thought a flat compact non pricey mirrorless camera
could be a great M and R lens solution.  Which means that the lenses would
work well on those kind of cameras not that you'd want to drop them in water
like an Alka-Seltzer. I'm not against  mirrorless  I think it can be an
elegant camera basic design concept.
The Leica M system is in the "mirrorless" camera category in the B&H website
on the internet. Not sure if I like that all that much. I can think of lots
of things with no mirrors. That doesn't define them. The tea-cup I'm
drinking out of right now is mirrorless. And thank god no one expects it to
be.
I think the best solution for Leica M lenses is a near current Leica M
digital camera or just just about any Leica M film camera ever made. And I
also think about the screw mount system glass and cameras.
I hope this SL camera does  not mean Leica is not having second thoughts
about its venerable rangefinder viewfinder which goes back through at least
half of the last century and to a lot of people is the core of what Leica
has long been about, not venerable like electronics. But this camera should
please people who feel there is no reason for living without auto focus. Or
feel their eyes have given up and them and for some reason cant get better
glasses.

On this review I don't think an overly long range bulky pricey normal zoom
is going to get serious shooters attention. I think an 18-35 will and an 80
to 200 would. A wide and tele zoom kit.
Well there seems to be a The Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280/f2.8-4  in
the wings that's the  tele zoom I wanted close enough. And  a Leica
Summilux-SL 50/f1.4 ASPH a lens I can also sink my teeth into. Normal zooms
are eschewed by the bulk of serous shooters who spit them out.  They just
seem to use the wide and the tele and maybe for the middle use a fast 50 or
macro.

I hope that people don't find a whizz bang EVF or whatever the acronym is
viewfinder front curtain what have you is what gets their credit cards out
and the M system flounders.
I hear the M framelines light up now. That's good enough for me.
Show them an LED and they'd follow it anywhere.
Don't need no stinking auto focus on my Leica M glass.
I'll zone focus at iso 64,000.
F 11 and be there.

On 10/28/15 10:15 PM, "Adam Bridge" <abridge683 at fastmail.com> wrote:

> I?ll just observe here what I have said to him directly: his Flash-based
> site
> is damn near unusable on my Mac. He wants his pay-wall which is okay but
> there
> are better ways to get there. It?s an ugly, awful site to navigate.

Adam