Subject: [Leica] New M(246) Outputs 12 bit Files
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 10:59:56 -0400

Christopher 8 bit is when you develop your Tri x in Dektol Paper developer
because you're in a hurry and you don't care. You just need to make out aunt
Martha's face in the print and you don't feel like going to the camera store
and get more darkroom stuff.
12 bit is when you develop it in Plain Vanilla D76 1:1. Its a bit of a
default.  A lot of film has been developed in D76 1:1.
14 bit is when you develop it in a better developer for acutance and long
range tonality like Rodinal 1:100 or 1:75 or Xtol 1:3.
It  means you care enough to check out better options to the Norm.
Not sure who Norm is.