Subject: [Leica] Leica SL and maybe the design inspiration?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 12:36:01 -0400

Photographs of compact mirrorless cameras with huge idiot do all lenses on
the front of them have never caught my eye and I've never seen any serious
photographer friends of mine use one.. Its certainly the last thing I'd
think Leica would every be involved in... as its full frame and seven grand
its purportedly meant for serious shooting. I don't know anyone whose going
to walk around with this arrangement. Certainly the camera has many plusses
and deserves a compact optic with some typical Leicas flair in front of it.
A 43mm Summicron pancake perhaps? Hold the blueberries. Or a 24 Summicron
compact wide angle.
I'm not saying all zooms are horrible for a thing like this. Just this one.
There could be a cool compact 18 to 35mm zoom or a 80 to 180mm conservative
compact tele. With the emphasis of low key lightweight style which looks
like it belongs on the camera it was designed for. Perhaps Leica could
design the first zoom pancake. A short stack which becomes a tall stack.