Subject: [Leica] Leica announces SL (Typ 601), a 24MP full frame mirrorless capable of 11fps and 4K video - PAUL
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:40:59 -0700

I think the Zeiss 21, the new one, is a retrofocus design..... the
Elmarit-M, etc, are not.  Then again, you could get the R lens, which IS a
retrofocus design and would work pretty well on the new camera...... and be
a LOT cheaper than an M lens....

Size is pretty big.. and the Native lenses are, compared to M lenses, HUGE..
the 50 ASPH Lux in old fashioned M terms uses a 46mm filter,,, the New SL
lens is 82mm....  And it looks a lot longer.... One of the reasons I went to
Leica M is to cut size and weight down.  The M9 kit is pretty small,  the
Sony A7 body with the same M lenses is even smaller....  The SL kit would be
about he same size but substantially heavier than my Nikon D7100 kit....
Yes, Plastic is lighter weight than brass or aluminum......

Cost is while other matter...  It will be a few years till it gets to the
price on the used market that I can afford..... I will not buy leading edge
technology because I do not think it offers anything "special" for me....
Last generation is good enough.... ( Still using an M9 and no thoughts on a
M240)

As far as Leica not keeping up with technology, that has been a recurrent
theme since the 30's.....

The person that wrote about the M WA lenses being good on a Sony A7 had best
go read more reviews....  they were pretty much not as good as native lenses
in the corners.....  This seems to be due to the thicker glass in front of
the sensor... which can be replaced with a thinner one.... ie, you CAN
improve a Sony by changing the cover glass.....!  (At your cost, not
theirs.....)

Be thankful for the good things about the camera.... a REAL metering system,
AF, dual card slots, among others....

And Oh MY!  That RED DOT!!!

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Size, weight, cost, and lower MP are disadvantages relative to the Sony
a7rii in my view, and for my landscape and travel uses.  The initial review
that seems to indicate that the SL does not do as well with the M wide
angles as the M240 is also troublesome.  I'm curious why.  I suspect
evolutionary designs mostly based on the M will be of more interest to me,
personally, than this large camera apparently aimed mostly at people who
want the large zoom lenses.

Actually, the advances Zeiss is making in the wide angle department may make
the thinner M sensor cover-glass and superior, more symmetrical lenses moot
points.  That new Zeiss 21mm is one inch longer than the Leica 21 f/2.8, but
the Zeiss vignetting at f/2.8 is as good as the Leica at f/8.
If Leica isn't careful it's going to be a case of too little too late.  The
technology is moving fast.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com