Subject: [Leica] Re. Babbage Difference Engine
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 09:42:24 -0500

Larry,

You really know how to bring back the memories.  My first encounter with
a calculating machine was as an undergraduate in the late 1940s, and I
suspect it was a Freiden, but can't recall for sure. What I do recall is
that one had to flip the carriage from column to column by hand.

By 1953, when I was working in my first real engineering job, I had my
choice of either an automatic Freiden or a Marchant.  I chose the
Marchant, and used it to calculate supersonic nozzle contours and solve
stress equations.  The real marvel of the day was the Square Root
Freiden.  My wife used a Freiden that was connected to print its output
on an IBM Selectric, but it was a maintenance nightmare, and seldom
worked correctly.

Our wind tunnel data reduction was done by an ERA 1102, and printed on
Flexowriters.

When I finally got to use the pocket calculators by TI and HP, I was
truly amazed at what such little gadgets could do.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA