Subject: [Leica] FS: Film from the freezer
From: john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel)
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 20:19:02 -0600

In 20 years, cosmic rays may have slightly fogged the ASA 400 film, be
interesting to see.  Worth a go anyway.

"Ambient Background Radiation (Effects on Raw Stock
Ambient gamma radiation is composed of two sources: a low energy
component which arises from the decay of radionuclides and a high energy
component which is the product of the interaction of cosmic rays with
the earth's upper atmosphere. The radionuclides responsible for the
low-energy photons exist in soil and rock and are carried into earth
derived building materials such as concrete. Lead shielding or storage
deep underground may be helpful, but for long-term raw stock storage,
radiation will still be a factor. Upon exposure to ambient-background
radiation, photographic materials can exhibit an increase in minimum
density, a loss in contrast and speed in the toe, and an increase in
granularity.

The change in film performance is determined by several factors, such as
the film speed and length of time exposed to the radiation before the
film is processed. A film with an Exposure Index (El) of 500 can exhibit
about three times the change in performance as a film with an El of 125.
While this effect on a film product isn't immediate, we still suggest
exposing and processing the film soon after purchase. We recommend a
period of no more than six months from the time of film purchase before
exposure and processing, provided it has been kept under specified
conditions. Films kept for extended periods beyond six months may be
affected, especially the faster films, even if they have been frozen.
The only way to determine the specific effect of ambient-background
radiation is to make actual tests or measurements by placing a detector
in the location where the film is stored. The most obvious clue is the
observance of increased granularity, especially in the light areas of
the scene."

<http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Support/Technical_Information/Storage/storage_info.htm#radiation#ixzz3nNB04BHX>