Subject: [Leica] Backup hardware: USB3 HDD
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 06:53:07 +0530

Our main back up, for the whole family, is a Synology DS414j NAS with 4 WD
4tb enterprise drives in a Raid 5 array, giving around 11-12 tb of effective
storage. The drives work well, but the NAS started acting up last week, and
has gone back to the dealers for repair. On top of this, I have two sets of
external back up of all images, both RAW and processed, with layers intact,
one of which resides in a bank locker (another complete set lies in my main
desktop on internal, enterprise level hard drives). You cannot be too
careful in backing up digital files, and external storage is cheap.

In this digital age, there is no such word in the lexicon as "permanent" -
we are always in a race to protect our data ahead of inevitable obsolescence
and failure!

Cheers
Jayanand

Sent from my iPad