Subject: [Leica] IMG: Globe/Temco Swifts
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 10:03:42 -0500

Hi Douglas,

It's not all about speed.  Extra horsepower also means better take-off
and climb performance, and, with modern molded cowlings, necessary to
finish up the engine installation, the airplane drag coefficient is
reduced.  The basic aircraft structure is not usually modified, so the
top speed for which the airplane was certified remains the same.  But,
with the larger engines, cruising at 65-75 percent power will reduce the
fuel consumption while still propelling the airplane near its maximum
cruise speed.

The certificated airplane limits still apply with larger aircraft, as
well.  A local automobile dealer whom I know has a Beech King Air 90
turboprop twin which, before he purchased it, was retrofitted with
larger Pratt and Whitney power plants.  He told me that, because he must
adhere to the original certification limits for the airframe, he cannot
use the additional horsepower until he reaches 15,000 feet.  As he
climbs on up to altitudes above 20,000 feet, where he usually cruises,
the additional power pays off in increased climb rate and speed.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA