Subject: [Leica] New M(246) Outputs 12 bit Files
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 12:09:40 -0700
References: <CAAsXt4M8TOqVD30bX_TRpDr8Q6QDFXvZWTSSso2_PL6zdHUWsg@mail.gmail.com> <CAMk=+XWCtsT_eGOSCLZMSMP=SyxdTPbCEopcWTE7chvXnyAjGw@mail.gmail.com> <5548ECD3.6040900@lighttube.net> <CAAsXt4OmRRQ9NBFUyYMrdWm=uwJ6tFQgxPDBQsEU_9aTQohg2Q@mail.gmail.com> <5DAB6492-6B47-4620-A495-5D0943B49364@gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ005f-LZsi2290Kdg3mE6jqAoyuauqd0Fjf5w8BU=Yrng@mail.gmail.com> <CAAsXt4PD9gM=o9HAte6xoeqjTrpLHYbx7MsP516Hqk68xR=wYA@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ08uYc=wajikmxqO1uMXO40LaRXoHuLW75MJUzPPAAQsA@mail.gmail.com>

Exactly! Why dumb down data that is there with the exact same camera
(M240)? Why throw any data away?? 14bit depth is the benchmark for best
quality final print images. Yes you compress files to get to a print, but
if you compress from real data rather than using real data, it certainly
will be a greater degradation: a guess of a guess rather than a guess.

Not exactly what I want to spend $8k on. I'll wait until the next model of
the color body that hopefully will change how they have implemented live
view. That's my biggest nit with the M240.(longer exposure time would be
nice too...)

My last image at ISO 3200 with the M240 is pretty satisfying to me:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rgacpa_HI/Bedtime+Story-2015-04-25.jpg.html
Certainly was never able to get film to look this good at 3200.

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] New M(246) Outputs 12 bit Files)
Message from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] New M(246) Outputs 12 bit Files)
Message from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] New M(246) Outputs 12 bit Files)
Message from rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler) ([Leica] New M(246) Outputs 12 bit Files)