Subject: [Leica] Critiques
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 13:32:42 -0500

On May 3, 2015, at 8:53 PM, Tina Manley wrote:

> So what is the answer to getting no response at all from the e-mail lists?
> The reason I post is to get feedback.  If I don't get it, there is no
> reason to post.  When I post on various Facebook pages, Leica ones
> especially, I get lots of hits and responses.  Why not here?

I always use IMG (as single image) or IMGs (multiple images) when I post an
image link.
Not to indicate that I WANT or NEED a "CRITIQUE" but simply to say, "a
picture link if you want to look."

If we want or need a Serious Critique then ask for it.
I feel like we talked about this a week or two back.

I taught graphic design for dozen semesters at Columbia College Chicago.
I consider Serious Critiques of Art Work (of whatever sort) a fairly time
consuming task.

The last time this came up I put a list out to you; as in Critique to
accomplish what sort of edit.
You responded, "all of the above."

IMO that neutralizes any potential usefulness or any Serious Critique.

Every photograph you take while traveling in "foreign" countries, or even
around the farm, will have some potential value to someone somewhere. Almost
all of us are producing photograph that may serve some useful purpose to
someone somewhere. Though we are not all producing a body of work which may
have any significant effect on the "History of Photography;" or the "History
of Photo Journalism;" or the "Whatever."

In my opinion Doug Herr is producing a quality of work, with an educated and
enlightened vision, which is actually adding to the "History of Photography
in the Field of Ornithology." I believe (though I don't know) he may have
created some of the best photographs of certain specimens in existence; as
in "the one to beat."

Chris Crawford documents deeply and widely in geographic areas and forms a
body of work with a powerfully strong personal vision which is almost
unmistakable.

Steve has done medical work which stands alone in empathy and intelligence.

At one time, Tina, I thought I knew what you were doing. And I believe that
you did create a strong coherent body of work from some specific locations.
You were photographing to a specific purpose; and meeting the goals of the
client who commissioned the work.

At this point, when you say that you're shooting for stock to appeal to any
all potential markets world wide; without focusing on any particular unique
styling or with anything in particular to say about any unique area; I can't
imagine how to "Critique the Photography."

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com/blog