Subject: [Leica] Fujifilm Store Visit in Tokyo
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 09:13:11 +0900

Morning Luggers,
As I mentioned in yesterday?s posting I stopped by the Fujifilm Building in
Roppongi and picked up a replacement lens hood for my 35mmf1.4.
At the front of the main floor next to one of the galleries showing
contemporary photos all taken with Fuji cameras (naturally) there was a
showcase
full of prototype lenses.

I was wearing my Tilley photo vest and carrying my XT1 with motor drive with
the 35 f1.4 mounted and so Mr. Takashi Ueno
came over to talk. He is in the Sales and Marketing Division of Imaging
Products, spoke quite good English and volunteered that he was involved
in the design of the XT1. In the showcase were three lenses that
particularly interested me - the 100 - 400 zoom - which is BIG Bulky and
heavy - weighing
in just under the weight of the Nikon 80 - 400VR zoom at about 1.4Kg. To
keep the weight down some carbon fibre is used in the construction. The
maximum aperture is f5.6 and the lens will take an extender reducing the
aperture to f8.0 - which means the extender must be a 1.4X or so. That would
bring the lens focal length in 35mm terms up to 400 X 1.5 = 600 X 1.4 =
840mm f8.0.

Now, if the AF in the Fuji bodies could approach the speed and accuracy of
Nikon professional bodies, then Fuji
could be a contender in sports and wild life photography. Based on my in
field experience in Africa they are not there yet.

In the cabinet was a 35mm f2.0 both in chrome and black finish. Takashi San
pointed them out proudly as an alternative to my 35 f1.4. I asked if they
were like the
Leica 35 Summicron in design and Takashi smiled and said he didn?t really
know.

Also in the cabinet was a 90mm f2.0 which I had not seen mentioned in
internet postings. It is a big imposing lens and will be the equivalent of a
135 f2.0 in 35mm terms. As I left the store I mused how Fuji has adapted to
the digital world while Kodak didn?t make it. This showcase store in
Roppongi, in some of the highest priced real estate on the planet, indicates
that they are doing very well and looking to fill our camera bags with more
desirable goods in the future. I came away quite impressed and with a future
shopping list in my head.
Howard

Replies: Reply from abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Fujifilm Store Visit in Tokyo)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Fujifilm Store Visit in Tokyo)