Subject: [Leica] RIP, my newspaper
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 06:48:18 +0100

Is this all that new?
My first visit to the USA was in 1970 when I did a summer exchange with a US
student, with me working at the Milwaukee factory of Falke Gear Corporation
and he at David Brown Gear Industries, the company with which I was doing my
apprenticeship.
I was warmly welcomed and the people I met were extremely hospitable and
polite. My big shock, however, was how little the people I got to know knew
about World affairs, politics and geography in general. I knew more about US
geography than anybody I met. Schools taught nothing about the World at all,
as far as  could tell from the friends I made of my age.
There was no locally available newspaper that I found with more than
perfunctory and very US-centric articles on anything which was not local and
these were lurking on one non-prominent page like an afterthought.
The general knowledge of what was happening elsewhere in the World was
absent (in fact most people seemed to assume the USA was the world?) even
though American boys were being brutalised daily in Viet Nam at that time.
For me the newspapers and tv news were parochial. Anything worthwhile was
only in magazines like Time.
It is something which massively shocked me at the time and that I have never
forgotten.
Frank D.

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] RIP, my newspaper)
Message from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] RIP, my newspaper)