Subject: [Leica] Lens hoods???
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 01:16:55 -0400

 A lens hood on a wide angle lens may not do much just look at it its wall
out on the side but a well designed one on a normal lens obviously will do
quite a bit and on a tele will put the front element in darkness which it
may really need and do a hell of a lot how could it not? You real think
holding your hand up in the air is going to compete with a long lens hood?
Its interesting to internet search in the form of stills or videos top pros
and well known very serious amateurs and see which ones seem to feel that
lens hoods don't do much as there they are standing there with a lens with a
lens hood on it. Like all of them.  Because Its real hard to find any of
these top people not using a lens hood. If you find one please tell us the
name. I'm not talking about some wedding photographer but a name we may have
actually heard of.
Moose Peterson is the only one I've ever heard of who forsakes lens hoods.
And he's always talking about the ghosts which live in some of his lenses.
I always wonder if the ghosts would be there if he'd put the lens hood on.
I've known a few people who feel they are not needed in a studio strobe
situation. Which I'd not agree with.
If you were shooting indoors in low light maybe it would not do  so much.

For some reason when I see tourists out with their camera and no lens hoods
they are the same ones with UV filters on their lenses. As if the uv filters
are going to do what the lens hood would.  I think the uv filter makes it so
you need a lens hood even more. I don't care about ultra multi super
coatings.

In the past all my lens shades were attached  right on my polarizing filters
so it makes them easier to turn not harder.

But is always interesting to spurn well known basic gear that all the top
photographers use because you know better. And with no stated logical
explanation.
But in a way that's what Leica use is all about. Using gear that the
mainstream and most top pros have spurned.

But I have a 40mm Summicron C with odd lens threads and it makes for me not
using a lens hood with that lens which is almost a pancake anyway..

A lens with a very very small outer element which is well protected like in
some macro lenes I'd think could live without a lens hood.
Like my 55mm 3.5 Micro Nikkor.
It doesn't need a lens hood it IS a lens hood.
But still will use one sometimes.