Subject: [Leica] ***SPAM*** Re: Tina's softness/sharpness/focus issue - might be solved, in part
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:32:02 -0400

I'd like to point out that this is not Tina's quirky photo mannerisms she's
talking about here. Its basic pro photo 101 - Its called "covering it",
"coverage" and "working it" and its the way professional photography has
been done since roll film  was invented and maybe before.
The new idea now we see on the internet of  "overshooting" a term which
never existed before the internet it has nothing to do with digital is one
of many internet photo memes which has come about not by pro photographers
but by photo enthusiasts on chat groups and blogs. And these enthusiasts
want everything to be quick, easy and painless so they can go on to their
next eBay win transition..

We were told from the get go that "film is cheap". The difference between a
pro and you is  you shoot a pic of the nice peeling paint fire hydrant we
shoot a roll. You shoot a roll we shoot a pro pack (ten or twenty rolls in
cellophane). We never buy a roll of film from the camera store. We buy a pro
pack. Cellophane is the name of the game.

Seeing and hearing from a seasoned photographer like Tina is such a threat
to these guys. So they give her advise. "Tina have you considered shooting
less pictures?" it  cloyingly insulting to Tina's professionalism to have
these dilatants camera traders give her advice on how she should handle her
photography.
The reason why Tina's body of work is so solid is not because she went click
click and walked on to the next thing. But she stayed and worked it. Covered
it from every angle and for an extended amount of time. She cared enough to
get it right and make sure the shot she was bringing home was as solid as
possible.
The decisive moment comes when you are home or at your studio pouring over
your take on your computer screen and you find that shot. And you give it
five starts. And a rosette.