Subject: [Leica] Lens hood won't stay on
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 14:01:44 -0800

OK OK ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!! So THE lens hood wont stay on? GET OVER IT! Use
some gaffer tape and stick it on permanently and forget about it! And get on
with picture taking!

So it falls off? OK here's the lens shade story of lens shade stories. THE
NOCTILUX?

My Noctilx was close to the first one purchased in Canada around early 70's
or as soon as they became available in 1970.

Lens shade clicked on and off beautifully and stored in reverse position on
front same lock pins when mounted during shooting. No problems............
UNTIL?

A little pin came loose on the lens mount and fell off somewhere on Planet
Earth! If anyone finds it please mail it back. Thank you. ;-)

OK me being me and all the bits and pieces the techies tell us that must be
used for perfect photos.......... "LENS SHADE BEING ESSENTIAL!" Well yeah
OK! But it isn't worth days and days of back & forth LUG e-mails we've seen
here.

OK on with the NOCTILUX STORY. So me wanting to be the all round good
equipment photographer user! YEAH RIGHT! :-)  I sent the lens to LEICA to
have this little pin replaced. Like screw in a new one. It can't be to
difficult... NOR COSTLY? Wouldn't you think so?
Well the service  rep returned my call with a "READY?" $245.00 for the
estimated cost! That's to screw in a little bitty pin and the "so called
never use a lens without a sun shade or death will happen! To the lens  and
it's recorded images!

I can't repeat here exactly what I told him to do with the pin! Be very
un-gentlemanly of me! And not really in my gentlemanly fashion.

"OK so send the lens back, thank you most kindly. FORGET THE LENS SHADE LOCK
PIN!"

So that little event was about 40/50 years ago and the NOCTILUX hasn't had a
lens shade on in all those years nor the other day on a NOCTI-SHOOT!"
PICTURE QUALITY? Always good if you know how to handle yer gear under all
kinds of light conditions!

So please ladies and gentlemen of the LUG? Do you think we could hang-up all
this "lens shade dialogue" now? Please and thank you..

That is unless someone has a better story than the "NOCTI story?" :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

---

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Lens hood won't stay on)