Subject: [Leica] Prints are way too dark. Driven to distraction
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 18:18:01 -0600

Not sure I can add much here.  I keep my monitor (Dell U2410, Spyder Pro
calibrated for room light and color) at a brightness and contrast
setting of 11/50 and keep the room lighting consistent.  I think the
default brightness is 50 which is too much and 100 is like looking into
a searchlight.  To print (in Photoshop) I make a duplicate image and set
them side by side on the monitor, then load the paper profile for the
duplicate.  This gives a sense of how to adjust the duplicate for
printing.  Usually it is just a slight brightness increase with the
curves tool, and sometimes a small saturation bump.  To print, the Epson
panel is set to "Photoshop manages colors" and the same paper profile is
selected.  The print is a good match to the monitor unless the viewing
conditions are extreme.  I say a "good" match since I don't think it is
possible to have a perfect match with one source backlit and the other
with reflected light.  I don't use LR for printing but the process is
similar with the LR soft proofing mode.

That is for color.  With B&W using Epson Advanced B&W or a RIP so far as
I know there is not an easy way to soft proof. However, after a while I
can usually make an educated guess.  I used to use the ImagePrint RIP
for B&W.  It is excellent but I'm pretty happy with the Epson driver now.

Ken