Subject: [Leica] IMG: Yet another test portrait
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 12:36:43 -0800

Hi all, thank you for your complements!

The Cooke PS945, unfortunately is a large format lens. Taylor & Taylor
Hobson had been making large format lens since the late 1800s. The Cooke
triplet is one of the earliest "cult" formula and is still used for low end
cameras, including cell phones and the hand made Miyazaki san 24mm, 28mm
and 35mm Leica lens. The company's descendant Cooke company still makes
some of the finest cinematic lens as seen in popular movies:

Cooke lenses have recently been used on film projects including *Zero Dark
Thirty, A Good Day To Die Hard, After Earth, Hugo, Extremely Loud and
Incredibly Close, Midnight in Paris* and *My Week With Marilyn*, and on
television productions including *Parade's End, World Without End, Game Of
Thrones, Downton Abbey, True Blood, The Borgias* and *Chicago Fire*.

In the 1920s, Boston's Pinkham & Smith produces one of the most sought
after portrait lens ever, the Visual Quality Series IV. Unlike other soft
focus lens, which might use a diffusion disk, P&S formula relies on certain
aberrations in open apertures to achieve the subtle soft look with the
smoothest bokeh that would "make grown men and women wept" (my words :-) )

In the early 2000, Cooke's Chief Optic Designer, I believe only the 3rd in
the company's history (I can't find the info currently) recreated the
legendary formula. The lens are made in batches, I believe only 200 (2
batches of 100x each) have been made since 2000. Mine is serial # 59.

I have to sell my Summicron 28 plus others to pay for it, but it's
definitely a portrait lens without peer.