Subject: [Leica] Elder prostate wisdom
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 10:11:30 -0600

Steve,
My PSA was taken after a lapse in treatment as I had changed Physicians
because of pain issues.   It turned out that the new physician adored
testing, and gave me every kind of test except a PSA.

When his direction yielded no result in the pain issue (neck), I returned
to my regular phyhsician who noted I hadn't had a PSA in some time.     The
resulting number was so high that he called me at home to ask me to come in
for a repeat.

The upshot is that I went to an urologist that our family had good
experience with, and after more tests (and a second opinion) began
treatment including radiation and chemical therapy, which at the time was
about the most conservative treatment.

Regarding MRI, I have no experience, but only read about it, and know there
are cautions in that method of diagnosis.

 Biopsy is quite painful, and effects last a few days, but it does reveal
small tumors, that some MRI machines/software misses.

Age issues?  I was 64 at the time, and of course the news about Dennis
Hopper got my attention.

Sonny

--
Regards,